Unix Scientific Desktop Computer Systems Users Survey

David Hough validgh business validgh
Wed Jun 18 17:02:03 PDT 1997

This mail is for members of numeric-interest or na-net
who are Unix scientific desktop computer
systems users interested in participating in a bit of public
market research; if not so interested, delete.

http://www.validgh.com/desktop.html automatically, if I've fully debugged
the script, so don't say anything you don't want posted to the web.
Note that I have set Reply-To: surveyavalidgh.com in the mail header so
normal replies to this email will enter the survey.

	Unix Scientific Desktop Computer Systems Users Survey

Do you use a Unix workstation or Unix PC as your primary computer equipment
for scientific, engineering, or technical work?

If so, I'd like to know

*) which window system you use - some examples are
	none (tty only)
	openwin
	CDE
	olwm
	xwm
	twm

*) how much RAM you have on your system

*) which operating system you run - the output of uname -a will suffice

Your response can be very brief, e.g. on netra.validgh.com I'd type:

echo openwin 32MB `uname -a` | /usr/lib/sendmail surveyavalidgh.com

Feel free to omit answers to questions you don't like or don't know,
or add additional information, such as:

 * How many CPU's
 * How much disk storage
 * How large a monitor
 * Frame buffer size e.g. 1152x900x8 or 1280x1024x24
 * Would you consider replacing your Unix workstation/PC with a
"network computer" that only ran Java code, assuming that it ran fast enough
that CPU performance was not an issue for you?