IEEE double extended forma

Turkowski, Ken uunet!AppleLink.Apple.COM!TURK
Tue May 4 18:29:00 PDT 1993

P.754 specifies that there should be a single extended and a double extended,
whose primary purpose is to provide extra precision for intermediate
calculations.

What you have described could certainly be used for a double extended, but it
is overkill. It is really more of a quad format.

I have seen other propose this as a quad format, but I can't find references
for it. Do you have pointers to documentation?

Another proposal can be found in the draft proposal IEEE P.1596.5/D0.95 "Shared
Data Formats optimized for Scalable Coherent Interface Processors". In there,
there is a "floating hexlet":

  1 sign
 23 exponent
104 mantissa
---
128 total
  1 implicit bit, so 105 bits for the significand

exponent bias of +4194303

It also provides for denormalized numbers, NaN's, and infinities.

The difference between the two is that yours allocates bits proportionately in
the same way that IEEE does when it goes from single to double. The SCI format
just doubles both the exponent and mantissa:

        single  double CrayQuad SCIQuad
expon     8       11     15       23
mant     23       52    112      104

Any ideas on what name to call this in "C"?

Item    5801761                         29-Jan-93        17:55