employment opportunity

David Hough sun!Eng!David.Hough
Fri Nov 22 17:50:27 PST 1991

We are looking for a suitably experienced and inclined floating-point
software support and performance person.

The ideal candidate would have experience in numerical analysis and floating
point arithmetic on computers, experience in optimizing compilers and in
software testing.  Unix and RISC or x86 experience would be helpful.

It's hard to say exactly what we're looking for, since most people end up
in this line of work by accident and without much relevant training.  A
perverted intolerance for the sort of minor errors and discrepancies that
normal people learn to live with appears to be in order; compulsive attention
to balancing checkbooks to the nearest penny might be a positive indicator.
Or the ability to recall humorous or exciting
anecdotes involving floating point
arithmetic would seem to distinguish good prospects from programmers
in general, who don't see anything funny or exciting in this subject.

Worldwide broadcast of this posting
would be far less helpful than bringing it to the
attention of a few good prospects.

Candidates may contact me at

        David.Houghaeng.sun.com

or my manager,