[Granville-Hough] 21 Feb 2010 - Nancy, Jim and Mary

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Wed Feb 21 05:30:37 PST 2018

Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 10:22:04 -0800
From: Granville W Hough <gwhough at oakapple.net>
Subject: Nancy, Jim and Mary - 21 Feb 2010

    Congratulations to my daughter, Nancy Hough on her birthday.  I will
not mention her age, but she was our first daughter.  Last year I told
the story of my anxiety of getting her and in-labor Carol across the
Canal before the bridge opened to close traffic and allow another ship
to pass through the locks.  The Fort Clayton Hospital was on the other
side of the canal from where we were at Fort Kobbe.  We made it with
time to spare.
    Grandpa Jim and Grandma Mary Richardson were married at 20 and 16
and developed their own spousal peculiarities, along with 13 children.
I never heard them address each other by name.  I once told my aunt of
this, and she said, "yes, that is true with one exception I will tell
you about."
    How did they communicate?  Well, we would hear Grandpa raise his
voice and make some statement or question.  We would look all around,
"Who Grandpa talkin' to?"  Then, Grandma would answer from wherever she
was, in the garden or in the barnyard, or the back of the house.  My
aunt said they had a special tone of voice they used that no one else
could learn.
    My aunt said the one exception was when some situation arose which
was not to Grandma Mary's  liking.  She would say, "Now, Jemmie, this is
what I think."  Then she would lay down the LAW.  Grandpa Jim would nod
his head, and say, "Well, that is the way it will be."