[Granville-Hough] 13 Jul 2009 - Gettie Shell

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Thu Jul 13 05:29:18 PDT 2017

Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 06:09:40 -0700
From: Granville W Hough <gwhough at oakapple.net>
Subject: GettieShell - 13 Jul 2009

ôGRANDMA GETTIE & GRANPA (SHELBY) SHELL SULLIVANö (1999)

Children û Howard Lee died June 2, Æ68 û Clyde born 1918 û died 1965 û
Hebert (Hub) born 1920 û died 1965 û Lois û Edward (ED) û Fred û
All have passed on. Lois Blatt first started GrandmaÆs parties.
She assigned
everyone a dish to bring. This party took place and Charlie and Lois's
in the house or yard, whatever weather permitted. Charlie hustled to get
everything ready. You see, Lois and Grandma were both bad diabetics.
Charlie saw that they ate properly. Even after Charlie lost Lois by
death he saw after Grandma and Fred. Lois was in government service, and
that is how she met Charlie.
After Grandma Gettie passed on, Connie and Shelby kept up the occasion,
calling it Sullivan Reunion. Held in March closest to the 21st which was
GrandmaÆs birthday. We remember the good and the bad. Connie and Shelby
spent happy times since we lived to closest to each other. We ate syrup
and biscuit 3 meals a day. The first margarine was in a plastic bag with
a pill you mashed to mix up. Syble could really cook biscuits. I
remember Clyde talking to me about GOD while he sat on a stump in fromt
of that Jim Walter house. Clyde was blessed with baby in late life with
Kelly, a joy to the family, then sad when she passed away. They had
another tragedy with the loss of Kathy.
Connie and Shelby use to walk railroad tracks to see who could walk the
rail fartherest. We all went swimming in (or at) the trestle (where the
railroad crossed the creek û implied skinny dipping). No boys were there
and Syble and Mama certainly did not know. Geraldine, remember the bop
and the gitter/jitter bug? Larry Sue, Indian Dean, (Shorty), Sarah Lou,
Marbeth: boy, you all let those skirts fly! Then tragedy in Feb 59:
Shorty and Indian Dean killed in bus wreck. Then tragedy with Connie
losing Thomas Ray in wreck. I kept Cindy and Rodney while Connie seen
about (arranged) funeral. Later Connie md Frank Lyons û one daughter by
this marriage û Shannon Lyons.
Picking cotton at Ma Vaughns, we sure had fun singing. Even Mavis, as
pretty as I thought, picked. Connie and I have spent many nights and IÆm
sure Carl Dennis in storm pit with coal oil (kerosene) lamps from one am
til day light at Grandma GettieÆs. Lois would take Grandma riding on
Sunday evening. Charlie liked the ballgames. Lois would take me to town
(Collins). I would continue to go to B. AinsworthÆs Caf‰ for ice cream
cones till we both had 3 each. Lois never cared how many toast I ate she
always knew when I wanted more. Charlie and Lois had the first TV. They
asked us over; we would watch GROUCH O MARK & CIGAR. Before this we
listened to Grand Ole Opery on battery radio. We had no electric lights,
(only coal) oil lamps.
We picked cotton. Grandma always beat me by a couple a (of) pounds at
the scales. She carried 2 rows at a time, pulling her sack up and
setting on it. She put cotton in her lap, then into her sack. She never
got out into the sun without her bonnet. Mama (Sarah) and Sarah Lou
prepared dinner and cleaned house, then came to the field. Daddy taught
us to put soda out to corn in syrup can and tablespoon. (GWH: this was
fertilizing (side-dressing) corn when it was about knee high with
Chilean nitrate of soda, one tablespoon per stalk of corn. The gallon
syrup can was what a child could carry handily.) Mama cooked dinner on
Sunday for Connie and us. Bannan pudding special each Sunday after
Church, by Mama.
Scares me still to remember that green pickup of daddyÆs: we were going
to Collins, body of truck loaded with girls and passed that truck loaded
with bales of cotton. God was with us not to wreck. We would amti-up and
go to WillieÆs roller rink in Magee.
Daddy and Mamma helped us get started as Shelby (Sullivan) Steverson by
baby sitting Ken and Glenda û a thank you to Larry, Janis, and Bobbie
also during the summer months. First job I had was at J. P. Gambles
Grocery and Caf‰. Then the B. Ainsworth Restaurant where the funeral
home is now. Then at Dan Ford Drug Store with James Williams and Myrte
Ferbon, both deceased now. (GWH: I do not personally know these places,
but I think they were in Collins.)
Connie and I both have been blessed by GOD û she had open heart surgery
when they knew very little about it medically. In 1975, I had a nervous
breakdown, with many relapses, they now say chemical deficiency.
If you want to know more, ask Charlie. He has been sick. Dorthy Ann many
others ask Charlie. Oh, yes, I remember Jean very well: how sweet she
was to me taking me to supper while Ed worked the night shift. GOD BLESS
û LOVE TO ALL!! Shelby (Sullivan) Steverson.

(GWH: This story could have been written by many of us who grew up on
farms in the general area of SullivanÆs Hollow. We ate the same foods,
had the same experiences, went to nearly identical churches, schools,
and towns; and had the same tragedies. Those of us who survive only do
so by the Grace of God. Geneticists may be able to glean some insight
into the effects of inbreeding. Rather than say, as some Sullivans have,
that there were no outward effects; one might suggest that inbreeding
concentrates the effects of some inward traits such as chemical
deficiencies, dependence on drugs, etc.
I have thought about the problem of identifying Sullivan traits. You
could line up a random group of Southern whites and put Sullivans among
them, then divide the group into from good looking to ugly and take the
fifty percent who were better looking. You would have a higher
percentage of Sullivans in that better looking group than in the other.
If you test that better looking group for intelligence and line them up
from most intelligent to least, you would have more Sullivans in the top
group. Then you take this top group to a bar and let them have all the
whiskey they want to drink. Those who drink the most whiskey will
include more Sullivans.
Then you observe the whiskey drinkers, and some will get abusive and
belligerent. In that group, you have those with Sullivan traits.
Good-looking, intelligent, cravers of alcohol, but who lose control when
they get as much as they want.
You can devise your own test, but that would be mine.)