[Granville-Hough] 12 Jul 2009 - Sunday

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Wed Jul 12 06:11:34 PDT 2017

Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 07:43:19 -0700
From: Granville W Hough <gwhough at oakapple.net>
Subject: Sunday - 12 Jul 2009

Somebody Might Come (AKA Sunday, Day of Rest and Planning).

To explain life on a subsistence farm before the days of running water,
telephones, and electricity requires the reader to exercise some
imagination. I suppose there are still parts of Alaska and Canada where
life might be just as basic, but I doubt one could have experiences with
cattle and mules like we had. To understand how we lived, I will start
with Sunday, as we did no ôworkö on Sunday. I guess it would have been
the same for any farm family in or near SullivanÆs Hollow.
We got up at daylight, year round, hearing the sound of the coffee
grinder reverberating through the wall of the entire house, while my
father ground a portion of coffee beans for breakfast. (We, as children
were not allowed coffee; and as a consequence, none of us ever became
addicted to it.) We got dressed and ate breakfast (big ôboyö biscuits,
molasses, butter, refried cornbread, a glass of milk, and eggs.) Adults
had fat bacon, but I never cared for it.
Then we went to the barnyard (the ôlotö) and let the mules out of their
stables and watered them, then shooed them down the stock lane to
pasture. By being first, they would not harass the milk cows. We then
milked the three or four cows we normally had freshened. While milking,
we gave them some hay or shucks to keep their mind occupied. We got each
calf on a rope to suckle until the cow let down her milk, then tied the
calf near the cow until we finished milking three teats. Then we let the
calf finish the fourth teat. With the cows milked we herded the calves
and smaller stock to the calf pasture across the road, then sent the
cows down the lane to the main pasture, following the mules. On the way
to the barnyard, we had opened the Chicken house door so the barnyard
chickens (mostly mature and setting hens) could spread out and do their
work. With the barnyard empty, we could clean the lot (remove all piles
of cow manure out in the open so they could be saved for fertilizer.) By
the time we got back into the house with the milk, my mother would have
cleaned up breakfast and put all the slop into buckets, which we took to
feed the hogs. She would also have fed the cats, and opened the second
chicken house door to let out the main chicken flock. Of course, we had
to do the same things every day in the week, except sending the mules to
pasture. It had to be done by school bus time, generally by 0730, during
the school year.
Then it was weekly bath time for the younger children. As we got older,
we took cold baths at night, but we certainly on Sunday got a big bucket
of water and went to some secluded shed and took a bath, frequently the
woodshed next to the smokehouse. There we could splash at will. You took
a bath, because, who knows, Somebody Might Come!! By 0900 we were ready
for company, dressed in clean Sunday clothes, or ready to go to Sunday
School. It was 2 and » miles to Concord Baptist Church, and we could
find enough interesting things along the way to make it an hourÆs walk.
When Sunday School was over at 1130, we would get home in time for
Sunday dinner about 1230. Indeed, when we got home there might be
visitors, Grandpa and Grandma Richardson, or some more remote family member.
The main meal of the day was dinner. My mother as well as Grandma
Richardson, cooked only twice daily, breakfast and dinner. At night, we
had a cold supper, from the remainder of the midday cooking. (Other
people did not do it this way, but I never had either a hot or heavy
supper until I left home.)
As soon as I learned to plow and plant, I joined with adults in ôwalking
the crops.ö On Sunday afternoon, you walked all about, looking at each
crop and talking about what had to be done. Soon I learned exactly how
many rows or acres I could plow with each implement. Some forms of
cultivation required two trips per row, one on each side of the crop,
and others only one trip. So on Sunday afternoon you did a basic time
and motion study, determining just how long it was going to take you and
your mule to do what had to be done. By the end of Sunday, you had the
next week mapped out, day by day, field by field, with priorities to
more needy crops.
Visitors left later in the afternoon, and the cows, mules, calves, and
chickens began to let us know they were ready for milking, feeding, and
bedding down safely. Hogs did not make much fuss on Sundays. They seemed
to know it was their good day. So we let the mules in the lot first, got
them watered, and they each went into and inspected their own stable. We
counted out the ears of corn each got, and shucked the corn and put it
into their trough. The hay we placed alongside. When each mule turned to
begin eating we closed their doors, and brought in the milk cows and
calves. We went through the process as in the morning of milking. Then
we had to separate the cows and calves for the night. (On summer nights
we just put them out in our cattle lane, knowing they would not go far
from their motherÆs lowing. In winter we put them in a separate stable.)
We then could get ready for supper. Someone would have been designated
earlier to churn the buttermilk. So we would have fresh buttermilk,
butter, cornbread, and whatever remained from dinner. That made
interesting combinations, because we never knew how much of what would
be left.
So a successful Sunday meant all your animals were satisfied, you met
your friends at Sunday School, you had good visits from relatives, you
had full stomachs, you had on clean clothes, and you knew exactly what
you wanted to do, first thing Monday morning. Only God could intervene,
which he frequently did with unscheduled rain, accidents, or sickness.
So we had to be flexible. There was another long list we had in mind
which might be named: ôWhat we need to do next time itÆs too wet to
plow.ö Weekdays: coming soon.