[Granville-Hough] 16 Apr 2009 - Reply to Cousin Norma

Trustees and Executors for Granville W. Hough gwhough at oakapple.net
Wed Jul 14 06:02:22 PDT 2010

(Cousin Norma Walker descended from Edward McCarty through a daughter
who married a Walker,just as I descended from a daughter who married an
Orrender/Arender; and she did much genealogy on the Walker descendants.)
  Without figuring it out exactly, I am in the fifth generation from
Edward McCarty, so we are about fifth cousins.  It was Norma's sister
Mabie Walker who md Jewett Huff, not known to be a relative; and they
lived together 72 years.  That is the longest marriage I know about
among our relatives.

NORMAWAND at aol.com wrote: (21 Feb 2003)

> Hi Granville:
>
> I have been thinking about you and wondering how you and your wife are
doing.  It has been awhile since we last communicated.
>> I thought you would be interested in knowing that my sister Mable
Huff > and her husband Jewett Huff both died a year ago.  She was 90 and
he > was 92.  They lived a long and happy life and we were most
fortunate > to have them with us for so long.  They were married for 72
years.
  If you have a chance, drop me a line and let me know how you are
doing.
>> Norma

My reply:

Well, as my older brother Dueward Hough said at age 69, "I'm doing
pretty well for
old folks." I am just past 80, but my wife, Carol, age 75, is in a
nursing home for Alzheimer's Patients.  My son and grandson are now on
their way from San Jose to join me in a birthday lunch with Carol
tomorrow.
     Carol had two strokes, with brain surgery on the second one, and
this ruined her vision, but she still could hear and enjoy music.  I
took care of her for four years, but our children saw I could not do it
any longer.  She has been in the nursing home since 1 Oct 2002.  She has
adjusted fairly well, and she knows who I am if I do not stay too long.
Tomorrow she will be confused as our son David looks like the young Army
officer she married, while I am some old guy who just claims to be
Granville.
     We will have our lunch with her in the facility, which is about
fifteen minutes from Leisure World.
     Well, our President seems bound and determined to have a war, in
spite of the better judgement of old Army officers like me.  Our last
hope in preventing a war may be that Tony Blair of England can get
through to George W.  He is smarter than George W. and more experienced
in international politics.  Surely Tony Blair understands what we are
getting into.  I guess we just wait and see.
     With my regards.  Your cousin, Granville.
P. S. My wife, Carol, died six months after this message, 17 Aug 2003.
I helped Jewett Huff with his lineage back at least into Alabama
and Kentucky. He seems to come from a different line from our Hough one,
probably German Hoff or Hof from PA and Shenandoah Valley of VA.