[Granville-Hough] 15 Apr 2009 - Mr. Jim Meadows Apple Orchard

Trustees and Executors for Granville W. Hough gwhough at oakapple.net
Tue Jul 13 06:01:08 PDT 2010

Niece June Travis has asked me why we Hough men were so uptight about
any forms of misbehavior.  I suppose my brief answer to her would be
that we learned the Devil is always waiting with temptations.  Once you
cross the line and succumb to the Devil's innocuous suggestions, it gets
easier and easier to magnify this mistake with lies, fantasies, and
cover-up.  One incident stands out in my memory.  It happened a few
weeks after my father died in May, 1936.
    When I grew big enough to know the way to Concord Church and back
home, I was delegated to take my three younger brothers each Sunday to
Sunday School.  It was over two miles but not three, so it was a good
walk or stroll.  We moved quite smartly on the way over and got to
church on time and participated with our friends in the services.
Afterwards, we took a more leisurely pace home, taking note of all the
birds, animals, plants and any people we might meet.  Our last turn was
in front of Mr. Jim Meadows home, and from there it was exactly one-half
mile to our house on a straight road where you could not get lost..
    Each morning while my mother was getting my brothers ready for
Sunday School, I ran up to the Mize-Magee Highway to get the Sunday
paper.  I never got to read it as my brothers would be ready for church
by the time I got back  home.  So, after returning from Sunday School, I
looked forward to reading the Sunday paper.  On this particular Sunday,
my brothers were dragging along, taking note of all the natural and
man-made activities.  They made the turn in front of Mr. Meadow's house,
and I knew they could get home in a few minutes.  So I took off, got
home, and settled down to read the Sunday paper.
     What happened next to my brothers is a subject never really
clarified.  Roland said Clifford suggested they climb the fence into Mr.
Meadow's apple orchard, and check out his fruit.  Donald now remembers
nothing about that part of the morning.  Clifford never admitted
anything.  We do know that Von Magee, a black tenant who lived across
the road from the apple orchard, saw three little white boys in the
orchard and immediately reported what he saw to Mr. Meadows.  Mr.
Meadows jumped into his truck and sped up to our house, where I was
reading the paper and my mother was getting dressed in another part of
the house.  The little white boys were nowhere in sight when Mr. Meadows
drove by his orchard, but they were not at home.
    Mr. Meadows banged on our door somewhat forcefully and demanded to
see Mrs. Hough.  My mother hastily completed dressing and went out on
the front porch to see Mr. Meadows who told her that her children were
stealing his apples.  My mother was dumbfounded, as we had more and
better apples than did Mr. Meadows.  She turned to me for an
explanation.  I could only say I saw everyone make the turn on the road
in front of Mr. Meadows house, and that I had came on alone up the
road.  I had seen no one climb a fence, in an apple orchard, and did not
know where they went, as they had not yet arrived.  About that time they
came in the back door and said they had come home through the fields.
All denied any knowledge of being in an apple orchard.  They had no
apples in their pockets.  Mr. Meadows was in perfect hearing distance of
all the discussion, but he insisted they be punished.  .My mother  again
asked each one  how they had  gotten off the road, and Roland finally
confessed they had come through Mr. Meadows'  apple orchard.  I think
each one had to apologize to Mr. Meadows for being in his apple orchard.
    What they all remembered is that Mr. Meadows made a big, big fuss
about something they could hardly understand as a mistake.  I was 13,
Clifford was 10, Donald was 8, and Roland was 7.  We could not remember
Mr. Meadows  as a good neighbor, as he did other things which seemed to
indicate he wanted drive us away and take our land.  Eventually he
retired to Magee, sold his land, and seemed to want to be friendly.
However, we did not ever trust him.  We wanted nothing to do with him
and always took the pathway on the far side of the road in passing his
house.
    In retrospect, we might consider that Jim Meadows listened to
council from the Devil just as did small children.  However, to us he
was the Devil, just waiting to catch us in a mistake.