[Gocamino] [saintjames] Re: Starting, Walking, Stamps Etc

Johnnie Walker johnniewalker-santiago at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 27 23:34:53 PDT 2013

Hola
Greetings from the Pilgrims' Office. Insults notwithstanding let's go back to Howard's original point:
"My experience with the Pilgrim Office in SdeC is that they are slavishly bureacratic and inflexible about NOT gving you the Compostela unless they are satisfied that you walked the last 100 km. to Santiago. If you demonstrate that you have walked more than the proscribed 100 km. along other routes or previous segments of th same route, they will scoff at you and be dismissive."
If anything causes controversy in the office between pilgrim and member of staff it is frequently this very issue. Sometimes pilgrims appear and explain that although they may have started in France for example their last stamp/sello is from Burgos or Sarria or somewhere short of Santiago. The reasons for this range from pilgrims running out of time or simply not liking the Camino when it gets busier nearer to Santiago.
In these situations my colleagues explain patiently that the Compostela is a document which records pilgrims' arrival at the tomb of St James in the cathedral in Santiagio. The pilgrimage is a pilgrimage to Santiago and not to Burgos or Sarria. Sometimes people do not see the logic of this and whilst we understand their frustration there really isn't anything that we can do about it without devaluing the efforts of the 200,000 pilgrims per year who walk to Santiago.
Best regards
John

http://www.johnniewalker-santiago.blogspot.com