[Gocamino] 200 km in France - GR65?

Richard Ferguson richard at fergusonsculpture.com
Thu Apr 19 22:09:11 PDT 2012

I am getting serious about planning my fall pilgrimage.   In 2002 I walked Leon to Santiago, averaging the usual 20 km/day.

My goal is to start in France, well north of the border, and end in Spain.  I want to walk more days in France than in Spain, perhaps finishing in Pamplona.  I am thinking that the GR65 would be a good route.

Working backwards from my expected travel distance per day, averaging 15 to 20 km/day, I am thinking that 270 km would be about right, 14 to 18 days walking.   I show Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port to Pamplona as 70 km.  If I do 200 km in france, I would be starting in Condom.    Is that a good place to start?   I would rather go for a shorter distance rather than go for over 200 km.

The SNCF site indicates that I could get from Paris to Condom via a TGV to Pau, and then a bus to Condom, roughly 10 hours total time.   From Pamplona I could easily get a train to Barcelona, visit my friends there, and then fly back to Paris.   I might rent a car in Pamplona, and visit some other folks in that area, before I head for Pamplona.

Comments?  Suggestions?

Richard

Sculptures in copper and other metals
www.fergusonsculpture.com