[Gocamino] Pilgrim Numbers continue to rise

Rebekah Scott rebrites at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 1 14:34:53 PDT 2011

I am interested in the artists vs. priests & nuns question, as I spent a good bit of time lately with all the above. I think "artist" is a much bigger word than "priest" or "nun." You can be an artist whilst being a whole lot of other professions, even a priest or a nun.

There are a lot fewer priests and nuns in the world than artists, I´d venture to say. A good percentage of them are constrained to remain in their parishes and convents, they don´t have the freedom to make pilgrimages like an artist might. And the majority of priests and nuns I see are getting up in age, and are perhaps less able physically to walk long distances.

I think Kerkeling´s book is waning in influence where German pilgs are concerned; none of them seems to know just why they are walking. But a couple of the antipodeans told me their currency is now stronger against the Euro than it has ever been, and going now is much more affordable than before.

Rebekah Scott
www.moratinoslife.blogspot.com

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."     -- Albert Camus