[Gocamino] Pilgrim Numbers continue to rise

Richard Ferguson richard at fergusonsculpture.com
Sat Oct 1 11:51:27 PDT 2011

Most of the countries at the top of the list are nearby and at least nominally Catholic.  If I had to guess on the UK, I would think that it is not and has not been a Catholic country.   German popularity can be explained by the popular book by the comedian Kerkeling.

Most artists work with their hands and bodies, perhaps more than their head.   As an artist myself, the idea of walking is a form of doing, and is a lot more appealing than meditating or going on a retreat.   Also, artists tend to be spiritual people, more spiritual than religious, so the promise of a spiritual experience sounds appealing.   And there is no shortage of books discussing and promoting the Camino as a spiritual experience.

Going on pilgrimage is kind of a busman's holiday for professional religious, so I am not too surprised about the lack of religious on pilgrimage.   However, I do know of a local priest who plans to take a group on Camino.

Richard