[Gocamino] Switching to Ourense

Rosina blaroli at aol.com
Fri Jan 21 11:18:17 PST 2011

Hi Glen,
Why go to the Camino Frances at all?
Of course, personal preferences are precisely that, personal, and they vary widely, for whatever reason, from person to person. Myself, ever since knowing the other Camino routes I wonder why so many pilgrims choose the Camino Frances more than once, . Two New York pilgrims who had walked the Camino Frances before and last year followed the Via de la Plata told me that, by comparison, the Camino Frances reminded them of McDonald's.
Also, if one has followed the Via de la Plata and been astounded by its glories (Merida, Zamora, the incomparable Salamanca - that no one should die without having visited it at least once-, to name a few), why join the Camino Frances at Astorga? Why not walk the extra few kilometers and go through Ourense?
That approach to Santiago is so very lovely.  Even my friends at the Pilgrims' office have walked from Ourense to Santiago because of the significance, history and loveliness of the route.
The Ourense Cathedral has its own remarkable Portico de Gloria, and the city is dotted with sulphuric hot water springs (including a small river-recess where people bathe) that are reportedly curative of almost all ills.
If I had a limited time for the pilgrimage I would fly to Salamanca, take in its joys, cultural, historical and current  (in the evening the central streets turn into outdoor cafes with much music, dancing, and the ubiquitous Salamanca tunas -those student popular music choirs that wonder all over the place.... like the one that shows up nightly at Obradoiro in Santiago-), and take a bus from Salamanca to Ourense.  The albergues in Ourense are quite nice, and those starting out from the city can stay extra time in preparation for the walk.
>From the States it probably costs just as much to fly to Pamplona, Burgos or Leon as it does to fly to Salamanca.
Hugs!
Rosina