[Gocamino] MRSA outbreak in Spain

Joanie Hess jethess777 at aol.com
Wed Jun 9 21:51:28 PDT 2010

 Hi Everyone--
I thought I would pass along that there is an outbreak of MRSA (a resistant strain of the Staph bacterium).  It was identified in the Madrid region.

Outbreak of MRSA With Linezolid Resistance Documented in Spain
Laurie Barclay, MD

                        The study authors and Dr. Gaynes have disclosed no relevant financial relationships. One of the study authors has a research contract of the Fundación para la Investigación Biomédica del Hospital Clínico San Carlos.
                        JAMA. 2010;303
pages 2260-2264, and 2293-2294.

The information appeared in a recent article in the Journal of                                          American Medical Association (JAMA).  I hate to reproduce the entire article here, but will say that all medical schools and most hospitals have a library where you could look at that if interested.  Be careful out there and beware of proper hygiene.  Take care of anything that is not healing as quickly as you have usually experienced.  Physicians can properly evaluate any suspicious wounds.  This organism is known to attack respiratory and urinary tracts, not just skin breaks.  Don't take chances with "not feeling right."

-Joanie