[Gocamino] Camino movie with Martin Sheen

Robert Spenger rspenger at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 13 19:10:54 PDT 2010

Ah, that explains it. I have walked to Finisterre from SdeC twice, but have not gone on to Muxia. I was tempted to take the road to Muxia directly on that second time, but elected to go to Finisterre again instead - it made for a shorter day, since I stopped for the night at Cée. I remember now hearing that there was a difficult crossing on the route from Finisterre to Muxia. I don't think that the direct route to Muxia has a crossing like that. By direct route, I am referring to the route that goes from the point where the road divides.

On other trips I have had to ford small streams, usually just running across the road. The only thing that bothered me about them was that it was time consuming. First I had to find a spot to sit where I wouldn't get too muddy. Then I had to take off my pack and put it down where it wouldn't get too muddy. Then it was sit down, take off shoes and socks, tie the shoe laces together, stand up again, put pack back on, and hang the shoes around my neck by the laces. Then, on the other side, it was the reverse of that procedure. Sometimes I just left the shoes and socks off for a way, looking for a decent place to sit. Usually the water was clear, so that it was easy to spot holes and obstacles, but a couple of times the water was too muddy, so I was glad that I had a pair of walking sticks to use as probes. On that one occasion that I mentioned in my message, the dirt road I was on was crossed by a wide, fast-flowing, muddy creek. I didn't have the nerve to try to ford that one alone. If I had been with a companion and we had a proper climbing rope, I might have given it a try, but not alone. A long (and unknown) detour was only safe (?) option.

Bob S.