[Gocamino] Christmas in Santiago II

hme347 at aol.com hme347 at aol.com
Sat Dec 25 04:27:44 PST 2010

Attended Midnight Mass at the Cathedral in Santiago with Andrea, my CS host, and a friend of hers, Katie, also from Hungary.  Andrea cooked a great Christmas fish dinner for us before we went to the Mass.  There were many worshipers in the Cathedral despite the cold weather, about 32 degrees F, 0 C.  As one of the organ selections, we heard "White Christmas", which did not seem quite right given the otherwise solemn atmosphere of the service. Later the organ played "Adeste Fideles" with the choir singing, something more traditional.

This morning I went out and found a bakery open and I bought pastries for breakfast. A small cafe was also open for my standard, quick "cafe Americano" on the street where I am staying, just outside the old city.  Today I take a bus to Salamanca, a six hour plus trip.  It is the only bus running there today and I arrive at 11:30 pm, but my host will be at the bus station to greet me and drive me to his home.

Felice Navidad!

Howard Mendes, NYC