[Gocamino] rental cell phones

Richard Ferguson richard at fergusonsculpture.com
Wed Aug 4 21:19:51 PDT 2010

I just checked the weight of my world phones.  They both weigh, with charger, less than 6 ounces, or about 150 grams.  I generally don't use a case for a cell phone.  The plug adapter weighs less than an ounce, I am sure.  I don't need a voltage converter because the charger is 110V and 220V, the charger automatically adjusts.

Anyway Bob, the phone weight is around 0.15 kg, not 0.5 kg.

I don't mean to take sides on the general question of whether it is or is not a good idea to carry a cell phone.   I believe that depends very much on your personal situation, obligations, attitudes, etc.  In Bob's case, his age alone justifies the extra security of a cell phone, as far as I am concerned.

One hidden advantage of getting a local SIM; you get a new local phone number that nobody knows about except the people you reveal it to.   No calls from your buddy asking you to go to lunch when you are thousands of miles away.  I have occasionally called somebody with a Denver phone number, but when they answer the phone I find out they are in Thailand!   This person took his regular cell phone to Thailand, and my brief call probably cost him a dollar.   I would bet that you would get very few incoming calls, if any, especially if you only give the number to one or two people.  To avoid any interruptions, and save the battery, you can leave it turned off unless you need to call for a reservation, or have an emergency.  If you left it turned off except when you needed it, you could probably leave the charger at home, and save 2 ounces.

My personal decision will probably be to take a cell phone, but leave it turned off except for an hour each evening.

Richard