[Gocamino] rental cell phones

Robert Spenger rspenger at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 4 20:38:44 PDT 2010

Thanks to all who responded to my request for cell phone information. I appreciate all the advice, even the negative ones! And - yes, going without is one of the options, especially since I have very limited experience using these gadgets. I don't agree with some responders' reasons for not bringing one, since I had no plans to use them to destroy the magic tranquillity of my fellow hikers - I will make up for that with my snoring.

I particularly want to thank Grant for warning me about PlanetFone. The ad made it seem reasonable and hassle-free, but there is nothing like getting a first hand account of what really   occurs. Another disadvantage is that the combination of phone, charger, case, and adapter weighs more than I would like. If I remember correctly, it was a half kilo or so. I suppose that other phones plus accessories would be about the same.

Bob S.