[Gocamino] Peregrino's passport

Johnnie Walker johnniewalker-santiago at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 25 23:41:06 PDT 2009

It is wonderful that you are able to make the journey to Santiago, albeit with altered plans.

As you know, if you wish to recieve a Compostela in Santiago, you must walk the last 100 kms or travel 200kms in the case of cyclists.

You are absolutely right that on the Camino Frances this means that you must start walking at or before Sarria.

Given that the Camino Frances is becoming exceptionally busy especially from Sarria you may consider other alternatives such as:

The Camino Ingles from Ferrol

The Camino Portugues from Valenca/Tui

The Via de la Plata from Ourense

Which ever route you choose you should collect at least two sellos/stamps on your pilgrim record during the last 100 kms. These can be obtained in albergues, churches, hotels, hostals, cafes, bars, some shops, red cross posts, police stations, ayuntamientos (city halls) and tourist offices. Where you get the stamps isn't important. Having them as evidence that you started 100 kms or more from Santiago is.

You do not need letters from your Parish Priest and you won't be asked for them. When you reach Santiago all you have to do is present your Pilgrim Record at the Pilgrims' Office. They will ask you to fill in a form. As well as some personal details for their records there are three boxes asking about your motives for the Pilgrimage - Religious/Religious and other/non religous. If you tick either of the first two boxes they will issue you with a Compostela with your name written in Latin. Tick the third box and they will issue you with a very nice Certificate welcoming you to Santiago.

Buen Camino

John

www.johnniewalker-santiago.blogspot.com