[Gocamino] Spanish mores and customs

crhutchin at verizon.net crhutchin at verizon.net
Thu May 28 08:33:58 PDT 2009

I had a good chuckle reading Rebekah's email regarding Women travelers
at a disadvantage.   It reminded me of some memories when I was a boy
in Spain. The year was 1961 and I was a ten-year-old boy living in
Madrid.  Some friends and I had gone to the swimming pool at the
Estadio Santiago Bernabéu for the first time.  We were in the men’s
room changing into our bathing suits, when two young women with their
young boys come in and helped their boys change into their suits.
Naked men all around and no one said or batted an eye.  As I learned
over the summer, this was quite a normal occurrence.  Fast-forward a
trip with some Spanish friends to a beach on a river outside Madrid.
There was no where private to change clothes, so it was done in the
open.  Again, no complaints or comments (except for us young boys and
among ourselves.  Lastly, I was on holiday in Benidorm (when it was
still a fishing village) with my mom and it was early in the morning
when we were woken up by some women and men yelling.  Looking out the
window there were tow British ladies in bikinis being scolded by the
Guardia Civil who were telling them to put on a proper bathing suit or
risk arrest.

Cheers!  Cullen