[Gocamino] Spanish mores and customs

Maria Garcia mariacgb at hotmail.com
Thu May 28 13:27:24 PDT 2009

In Spain we see the human body as something natural in all humans so we respected it and without the sexual repression of the USA, we don't view it as somthing bad or disgusting...Hence our respect for other people naked around us (no urge to be "spying " on them). This is taught at home from very early age so by the time you areolder you don't see it as a big deal.We find the american culture too prudish in that respect. There are people more private than other in Spain but you will find this attitude of untold respect everywhere!! (As I said it is not something that will draw your attention...)

On the other hand we find violence in tv and other media very pornographic and bad for everybody, specially young children. Lot sof very violent tv shows thst kids watch in this country are not allowed in Spain (and probably great part of Europe) for children.

It still amazes me that it became an issue to watch a partial breast in tv for a few seconds a few years ago in this country. And yet we have been desensitized when it comes to violence. What an absurdity!

Maria