[Gocamino] [saintjames] Re: Matajudios????

hme347 at aol.com hme347 at aol.com
Mon May 11 09:54:38 PDT 2009

I found this on Google.  It is another pilgrim's account of a visit to Astorga.  I also tried to find some indication of the once thriving Jewish community in Astorga to no avail. Add it to the list of the disappeared:

While in Astorga we also found sites not mentioned in any of our guidebooks. One was clearly marked on the local tourist map:

On the far southeast corner of the city (the green rectangle in the lower right area of the Google Earth image above) we found a “Jardin de la Sinagoga” where the synagogue had once supposedly been.

There we took our “official portrait of the day” as the sun set. We searched in vain for any sign indicating the existence of a synagogue (or even the name of the garden)

Howard Mendes, NYC