[Gocamino] July 25th, 2009 BAD ADVICE

deb berman dberman101 at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 1 11:17:29 PDT 2009

Howard,
What time of year did you walk the Camino Francés? I have read that the refugios are crowded during the summer and it seems as though summer is the time of year when pilgrims "race" to claim a spot at the next albergue. I am wondering because I am going this fall, late September and, unlike my first Camino, I hope this time to stay in the refugios. We stayed in hotels last time and sometimes felt a bit isolated.
I agree with you about walking early in the day to avoid the midday sun. Two years ago, walking in September-October, I often found the sun too uncomfortable by 1 or 2 o'clock. I suppose a person's sun tolerance would make a difference, but for the very fair-skinned, even wearing a big hat and slathering on a lot of sunscreen may not offer sufficient protection at that time of day.
Rosina, Your advice about walking another route has me reconsidering my plan to repeat the Camino Francés....at the last minute! Have you done the northern coastal route? Time-wise would it be similar to the Camino Francés? What information could you share about weather up north---I leave 45 days from now. I suppose autumn weather can be "iffy" most any place, but I wonder if there is more chance of storms along the coast in September-October...?
Lastly, I have a question for anyone who has experience with this: What is the best way to get up to Somport? I am flying into Barcelona and plan to take the AVE to Zaragoza. I couldn't figure out if the train from Zaragoza goes to Canfranc Estación or only to Jaca. After getting off the train at one of these, will there be any problem finding a taxi up to Somport---on a Saturday afternoon? Thank you to anyone who can share information about this.
Buen Camino to all,Deborah