[Gocamino] July 25th, 2009 BAD ADVICE

Diane Maxon maxon03 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 1 10:44:38 PDT 2009

I agree with Howard on this.  I found the afternoon heat very oppressive and all the Spaniards are taking a siesta in the small towns, so the walk seems very solitary.  I usually started about 7 am and walked until about 1 pm.  I always found a bed in an albergue and met many really great people from around the world at the albergues.  I ate my main meal after a shower and then had a siesta and then the rest of the afternoon and evening free to do whatever I wanted.  I was on the Camino Frances and enjoyed it tremendously.  Also I found that many albergues would save a bed for those over 50, so I never went without a bed.    In most towns the hospitaleros are very good about finding other available beds in the town for people who arrive after their albergue is filled up.

I don't think you can let any of your fears and concerns hold you back from doing the Camino how you want to do it.  It always works out and sometimes gives you a greater adventure than you had expected.