[Gocamino] Difficult Day

Dean kf4yxh at cox.net
Sat Apr 18 11:49:11 PDT 2009

It was exactly one year ago that I took the train from Paris to St Jean Pied
de Port to start my Camino.  The weather was a major consideration in my
planning.  Statistically the weather made it an ideal time for me.

On Saturday 19 April 2008 I left St Jean Pied de Port on the easy route to
Roncesvalles.  On leaving SJPP I saw only a handful of pilgrims.  Most had
taken the more "scenic" route against the advise of the hospitaliars.  At
the pass was the only time I was afraid during my entire trip.  It was
dangerously windy, cold and rainy.  I needed to put on another two layer
quickly.

It was the most physically and mentally challenging day of my Camino.  Even
though I had trained on the flatlands of my home I had to myself willing
myself to keep going.

I learned afterwards that many people had experienced difficulties.  Some
loosing equipment in the wind.

My points:
Do not be so quick to judge.  Let the charity of the Camino be your guide.
The Camino is an adventure.  It can be difficult and dangerous.  Not all who
have attempted it have succeeded in making the journey.  This applies to
both medieval and modern times.
If you travel the mountains in April you have to carry more that those who
travel in more benign times.  My pack was 11kg without food or water.
Many who attempt the Camino for spiritual reasons are the not so well
prepared for the physical aspects of the way.

Buen Camino

Dean G.