[Gocamino] Difficult Day

Richard Ferguson richard at fergusonsculpture.com
Sun Apr 19 14:43:56 PDT 2009

I think that Dean is right on in noting that the Camino is difficult,
and we should not be quick to judge.  If you don't have experience in
the mountains it is easy to persuade yourself that it will be OK,
even when the weather is bad.  It is also easy to get carried along
by somebody else's bad judgement, which I think was part of the
story.   As an experienced mountaineer, I tend to take the mountains
very seriously, which means that my pack is probably heavier than the
next person's.  Numerous times I have flat out rejected climbing
plans that I felt were unsafe, unreasonable, or overly aggressive; in
many cases, the person proposing those plans had reasonable
experience, but poor judgement, in my view.

Rather than criticizing the original poster, I suggest that we treat
it as a lesson and a reminder for all of us.   For example, this
post/discussion has me reconsidering the start date for my next
camino.  Another lesson is to take the weather forecast seriously,
and not head up the pass if the forecast is bad, especially when
crossing the Pyrenees.

Richard

--
http://www.fergusonsculpture.com