[Gocamino] Starting just on the French side?

Richard Ferguson richard at fergusonsculpture.com
Mon Sep 15 22:09:55 PDT 2008

I continue to try to figure out what I want to do.  I want to walk in
France, but it is expensive.  My spouse had a practical suggestion,
which was to walk a few days in France, cross the border, and
continue walking in Spain.   That way I would spend some time in
France without blowing my budget. This would also have me in shape
before I cross the Pyrenees.  I have not seen that area.  It all
sounds good. So I am trying to figure out how I might do this.

My initial take is that I could start 115 km north of Roncesvalles,
on the Le Puy route, around Maslacq.  For me, that would be 6 days
walk to Roncesvalles.  Amazingly, the SNCF (French rail) web site
says that I can get there from Madrid in 8 hours!  The first train
would get me from Madrid (Atocha) to the border near Irun, from
whence I could take a local train and then a bus to Argagnon, a few
km from Maslacq.

Not sure how far I would walk.  I would probably figure to spend two
or three weeks walking, perhaps as far as Burgos, and then head back
to Madrid and then home.

Does this plan make any sense?  Is that area particularly attractive
or unattractive?  What do I need to know?  I might be doing this in
October or early November, so I know that I could see snow, or even
have to wait out some weather.   Will the gites be open?  I speak
enough French to ask directions and understand the answers.

I think that I read that someone had done something similar to this,
just so that they would not have the cross the mountains on the first
day.

Richard

--
http://www.fergusonsculpture.com