[Gocamino] Fwd: [Santiagobis] windup of a failed venture

Robert Spenger rspenger at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 23 17:47:37 PDT 2008

This message was bounced from gocamino because the initial message had
too many recipients, so I am resending it.

Bob S.

Begin forwarded message:

From: Robert Spenger <rspenger at earthlink.net>
Date: October 22, 2008 2:47:36 PM PDT
To: Derek Reimer <dlr47 at shaw.ca>

Derek and others,

Your e-mail response is quite timely. Just this morning I had been
thinking about sending a message to S-bis (and perhaps the other
caminos groups to which I belong) about the incredible coincidence of
meeting with the two of you at the very beginning and the end of the
Spanish section of my walk. That is to say that when we met where the
Route Napoleon and the road from Valcarlos come together, you were the
first pilgrims that I talked to in Spain itself. There were none on
the route from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port up through Valcarlos. Then in
Sarria, you were the last  pilgrims with whom I spoke before I took
off for the bus terminal and the start of my trip home.

I agree that the term "failed" really applies to one feature of my
trip, i.e. that I didn't make it all the way to Santiago. In just
about every other aspect it was successful beyond my expectations. I
completed the remaining section of the LePuy  route to SJPdeP. I got
to visit with Huberta and Arno at their gîte in SJPdeP and I got to
stay at the marvelous albergues maintained by Acacio and Orietta at
Viloria de Rioja and by Rebekah and Paddy at Moratinos. I also enjoyed
the facilities of the CSJ run albergue in Rabanal. I had heard a lot
about this one as well, and under the hospitalera/o team of Maggie and
John, it lived up to its reputation for hospitality. I also enjoyed my
stay at the German run albergue in Las Fabas and the albergue privado
in Fonfria which had been strongly recommended by the hospitalera at
Las Fabas. One of the gîtes in France stands out. It is at Cambarrat
and owner, Nicolas, served the four guests with a fine dinner, and
followed it with a blue grass concert. Nicolas is an accomplished
banjo player and this was a completely unexpected treat. Another
surprise at Cambarrat was meeting a German pilgrim who actually knew
where Big Pine is. He had recently visited Yosemite and Death Valley
and remembered going by (or through?) Big Pine on the way from one to
the other. He was doing 35-40 km per day, so I never saw him again at
my puny 16 km per day pace.

I also walked the parts that I had skipped on the 2002 trip, i.e. from
Burgos to Sahagún and from Astorga to Ponferrada, and took the side
trip to the Eunate, which I had gone by in both 2000 and 2002. I have
now done all parts of the route from Ostabat in France to SdeC in
Spain at least twice. A couple of these, SJPdeP to Roncesvalles and
Hornillos to Castrojeriz, were done by alternate routes on different
trips and I sometimes took to the pavement instead of the marked path,
but I didn't keep track of these.

Except for lack of sufficient knee cartilage, I enjoyed good health in
spite of a diet that was far too high in sugar, fats, white bread, and
cholesterol and too low in green, leafy vegetables and non-fat dairy
products. My own fault really. A great many of the other pilgrims were
doing their own food preparation, a much higher percentage than I
remembered from previous year, and I have no excuse for not having
done more of that myself - it was just laziness on my part.

Overall it was a worthwhile trip. If the proposed knee treatment
(injections of hyaluronic acid - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Hyaluronan ) works I may be hot to go for that last 120 km. I saw
quite a few people walking the camino, joined at the stops by a
companion traveling by motor transport, both private car and public
transport, so perhaps Connie could join me on that - if only we could
get there without taking to the air.

Bob S.