[Gocamino] NY Times Article on Camino Best Seller in Germany

HMe347 at aol.com HMe347 at aol.com
Tue Mar 11 18:07:59 PDT 2008

Hi everyone!     From Howard Mendes,  NYC

A Pilgrimage Tale (Not Chaucer’s) Amuses and Inspires

Marcus Gloger for The New York Times
Comedian Hape Kerkeling wrote the best-selling book, "I'm Off  for a Bit,
Then."

By _MARK LANDLER_
(http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/l/mark_landler/index.html?inline=nyt-per)

Published: March 8, 2008

DÜSSELDORF, _Germany_
(http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/international/countriesandterritories/germany/index.html?inline=nyt-geo)
HAPE KERKELING is the kind of comedian who is not above putting on funny wigs
 and false teeth to get a laugh. His best-known character, Horst Schlämmer,
is a  tiresome, booze-addled reporter for a small-town German paper who snorts
when he  laughs, revealing a mouthful of nasty dental work, and paws any young
woman  within reach.
It is a coarse act, and Germans can’t get enough of it.
Mr. Kerkeling has become one of this country’s most popular entertainers,
with his own television variety show, film career and sold-out concert tours.
Perhaps inevitably, he has also cranked out a book, which, given his celebrity,
 might have been expected to sell decently.
As it turns out, the book, “I’m Off for a Bit, Then,” has become one of the
best-selling nonfiction works in Germany since World War II, selling 14 times
as  many copies as _Günter Grass_
(http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/g/gunter_grass/index.html?inline=nyt-per) ’s much-discussed
memoir, “Peeling the  Onion.”
Since it was published in May 2006, Mr. Kerkeling’s book has topped the
best-seller list in the magazine Der Spiegel every week except for when it was
briefly displaced by the memoir of the former chancellor _Gerhard Schröder_
(http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/s/gerhard_schroder/inde
x.html?inline=nyt-per)  and a meditation on Jesus by _Pope Benedict XVI_
(http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/b/benedict_xvi/index.ht
ml?inline=nyt-per) .
With sales of nearly 2.9 million copies, the book is a publishing phenomenon,
 all the more improbable because it is about a pilgrimage Mr. Kerkeling made
to  the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela in Spain, following the medieval
pilgrims’ path known as the Way of St. James.
“I just got up off my couch one day, after finishing a Diet Pepsi and a bag
of chips, and started walking,” said Mr. Kerkeling, who professes to be as
mystified as anyone by his success.
In this land of empty churches and creeping secularism, Mr. Kerkeling has
clearly tapped into something. His whimsical, moving and ultimately spiritual
account has caught the imagination of Germans. (It will be published in the
United States by Free Press in 2009.) People here are setting off on the
pilgrimage in large numbers.
Last fall, a German television network broadcast a weekly series, with
celebrities retracing Mr. Kerkeling’s six-week journey. Religious and political
leaders have debated why the book is so popular.
They offer mostly familiar theories: the spiritual anomie of
post-reunification Germany, which creates a hunger for some sort of fulfillment;  the failure
of traditional religion to inspire; even a reaction to the rise of  Islam in
Europe, where Muslims are building mosques next to cathedrals. And, it  must
be said, the pope’s book, “Jesus of Nazareth,” has also done well in his
native land, with about 450,000 copies sold.
“With the breakdown of old ideologies, there is a new search for the meaning
of life,” said _Peter Schneider_
(http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/s/peter_schneider/index.html?inline=nyt-per) , a noted German
author.
Or could it be simply that Mr. Kerkeling, shorn of his comic alter egos, is
an agreeable travel companion?
“I think the book works on three levels,” he said. “You can read it simply
as  a funny book; you can read it as an adventure story; or you can read it as
a  spiritual journey.”
A CUDDLY fellow with an ever-present cigarette and a passing resemblance to
_Jerry Lewis_
(http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/l/jerry_lewis/index.html?inline=nyt-per) , Mr. Kerkeling, 43, said he did not view
 his pilgrimage as a quest that would hold lessons for others. Though raised
as a  Catholic, he stopped going to church years ago. He describes his faith
as a  fusion of Buddhism and Christianity.
Born in 1964 in Recklinghausen, a town in the Ruhr Valley, to a family with
Dutch roots, Hape Kerkeling — his first name is a combination of his given
name,  Hans Peter — came up in show business through radio and television comedy
shows.  In 1991, he dressed up as Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands and almost
talked his  way into a state dinner with the German president.
By 2001, Mr. Kerkeling was one of the most recognizable faces in Germany, but
 he said he felt physically and spiritually spent. After having his gall
bladder  removed, Mr. Kerkeling said he needed a “timeout.” He chose the
pilgrimage,  known by its Spanish name, el Camino de Santiago, after coming across a
book  about it.
“The first book that more or less landed at my feet was called ‘The Joyful
Path of St. James,’ ” Mr. Kerkeling wrote in his first chapter. He found  the
whole idea preposterous. “Chocolate brings joy, to some extent,” he wrote,  “
and whiskey, in extreme situations.” He bought the book anyway, and read it
in  one sitting.
A self-described couch potato, Mr. Kerkeling was unprepared for the rigors of
 a 400-mile trek. The trail begins in St.-Jean-Pied-de-Port, in southern
France,  traverses the Pyrenees and then winds across northern Spain, past
Pamplona and  the vineyards of La Rioja. It ends in the ancient city of Santiago de
Compostela, where, legend holds, the Apostle James is buried.
“I figured I’d fail completely on the first day,” Mr. Kerkeling said. He was
 nearly right. Hobbling up the mountains in a driving rain, he was soon
exhausted, his knees swollen. But he soldiered on, and came to realize he was
tougher than he thought. “I’m not really an esoteric person,” he said, “but I
did begin to feel a calling of some kind.”
Most of the book is a travelogue, written with a gentle, wry humor that
recalls _Bill Bryson_
(http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/b/bill_bryson/index.html?inline=nyt-per) . Determined to avoid devout pilgrims
—  because, he writes, they will be no different at the end of the journey
than  they were at the start — Mr. Kerkeling instead encounters an array of
tourists,  oddballs and adventurers, to whom he speaks in any of his six
languages.
There is Anne, a woman from Liverpool who wears “_Harry Potter_
(http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/complete_coverage/harry_potter/index.ht
ml?inline=nyt-classifier)  eyeglasses,” and Claudia, a pretty young
Brazilian woman who wants to be more than friends. After Mr. Kerkeling tells her  that
they will not be involved romantically (he is gay), she leaves him on the
road. “We had, in a single day, all the experiences a couple would have in 30
years,” he said.
THERE are also some vivid images, like a hat seller who collected and hung
hundreds of discarded hats and caps belonging to pilgrims from the ceiling of
his shop. Or a waiter who showed up at Mr. Kerkeling’s breakfast table,
wearing  a T-shirt inscribed “Keep on Running,” at a moment when he was on the
verge of  giving up.
During his journey, Mr. Kerkeling kept a diary, largely, he said, to pass the
 lonely evenings. Back home, he put the notes in a filing cabinet, with no
plans  of turning them into a book. After he discussed the pilgrimage on a
television  talk show, a publisher called him with a proposal.
Writers as diverse as Paulo Coelho of Brazil and _Shirley MacLaine_
(http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/m/shirley_maclaine/index.htm
l?inline=nyt-per)  have mined the Way of St. James for  successful books. And
for Mr. Kerkeling, the book seems only to have added  luster to his star. But
he said the experience had also raised his expectations  of himself. “The
Camino really begins after you’ve finished it,” he said. “Life  becomes more
challenging.”
Mr. Kerkeling is taking time off, again, to work on two books: one fiction
and the other nonfiction. Still convinced that “the official churches don’t
have  the answers,” he recommends the Way of St. James to anyone who asks —
with one  proviso: skip the mountainous hike on the first  day

 (http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolprf00030000000001)