[Gocamino] Your requests. The Camino on TV

blaroli at aol.com blaroli at aol.com
Fri Jan 11 11:50:40 PST 2008

Hello, I have the named of those of you who would like? some of the Guadalupe candle holders from the Votivekirsch in Vienna, I'll be going there tomorrow so please let me know if some more of you would? like to have some.
I went to Mass there last Sunday.......talk about a Christmas card come to life. For equality's sake the Mass was in Latin and, it was candle-lit.? To see the priest reading the Gospel by the? lights of candles held by two kids who looked like verily angels indeed, rivaled the sight of Viennese waltzing under the snow in? New Year's eve.
It is said that all good things have to come to an end, and, for sure, I must go home in? a couple of days..... But how wonderful to know that Vienna and its delightful wonders will still be? here.
Well, after the Turks invaded and destroyed most of Vienna centuries and centuries ago, the city was rebuilt with a protective wall around it:? the only thing that survived outside the new walls was a little church known for its "pilgrim" nun (later a saint).? She was a nun who spent her time baking bread for pilgrims going on to Holy places, and if the pilgrims were going on to Santiago the loaves she baked were large and multi-layered, and today they are known as "pilgrims bread" and are handed out by bakers to the needy, for free, between May 31st.and June 30th every year .
?? In Austria (and Germany, I think), there is a children's channel called KIKA (from KInder KAnal);? yesterday they showed an animated program about the Camino (Jakobsweg); it seemed that the underlying purpose was an introduction to the Spanish language, but the presentation, and fullness, of the approach and meaning of the Camino was very impressive. The program was sandwiched between a pictorial narration of Beethoven's fifth Symphony? (with the notes flying about in vivid colors as in Disney's Fantasia), and an animated biography of Copernicus!.... Since the broadcasts were at mid-day the target audience must have been between 4 and 10 years of age-------? And there, my dear Watson, lies the key to the enigma and the door to the future.!
Another surprising thing here is the ubiquity, on TV, newspapers and casual conversation, of Hillary Clinton.? These Austrians just love her (or her novelty, probity and promise), if she were running for anything here she'*d be elected by acclamation.? What baffles, and embarrasses me,? is how the Viennese are so conversant? with? what Hillary did, or said, years and years ago about things of which I hadn't a clue...... (and I do like her).
Oh well!? time to go home, I guess.
Let me know about the candle-holders.
?By the way, at the Viennese Santiago Confraternity New Year's do they mentioned that about 100 Austrian (and 500 Italian) pilgrims ski to the border with Spain.? Many have bikes shipped to Roncesvalles and they? pedal from there.
Ski??????

Hugs!

Rosina