[Gocamino] "pack weight" — a rant — addendum

Robert Spenger rspenger at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 14 21:54:15 PDT 2008

Whoops! In my long-winded diatribe about the ambiguity of the term
"pack weight," I forgot one major item — walking sticks. I have used
the lightweight collapsible type that can be attached to a pack, but
they have a tendency to to live up to their name — collapsible — just
at crucial moments. I suppose that a strong, young man can tighten
them up enough to that they do not collapse, but I am no longer able
to do that. I have also seen a newer type of trekking pole that seems
to have a much more secure locking mechanism, but that would be
another expense. On my last trip, in the spring of 2007, I went back
to the old standby, wooden walking sticks, which I bought at Saint
Privat-d'Allier on the second day, just before the steep, hazardous
descent to Monistrol-d'Allier. I still have these and I found that
they are just short of a pound apiece. I often had one in each hand
using them or having them ready for use. At other times, I would carry
them nested together in one hand, shifting them back and forth once in
a while to give each hand a rest. I also could tie the  cords together
and sling them over a shoulder to give both hands a rest. These were
never in a pack. They would not fit. Does this mean that they do not
count as pack weight? Just wondering.

Bob S.