[Gocamino] Santiago news 2

HMe347 at aol.com HMe347 at aol.com
Thu Sep 13 14:38:19 PDT 2007

In a message dated 9/13/2007 2:48:59 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
blaroli at aol.com writes:

Finally, there continues to be a desire for some sort of tangible
recognition for those four-legged pilgrims (mostly dogs) who walk to Santiago  and who,
heretofore, have not received any special consideration. (Recently a  German
pilgrim went to the police (!) to complain that the albergue in  Cebreiro
refused to admit his dog who, with him, had walked all the way from  Germany).  For
years now I, myself, have advocated the granting of a St.  Cristopher-type
medal, or some such to dogs who walk to Santiago, and, on some  occasions I have
helped some heart-broken pilgrims gain entrance to the  Cathedral with their
dogs.  At the next Archiconfraternity meeting I  intend to propose that such
medals be made available with the cost to be  absorbed by animal-loving
Societies and persons.    I know that  some will think me pretty crazy for advocating
something like this.  But  I cannot remember the many pilgrims who’ve felt
that their dogs deserve some  sort of recognition, even more than they
themselves, and I cannot look into  the eyes of my little dog Christopher (named after
Christopher Moltisanti of  “The Sopranos”) without making the attempt.

Really?  What about Sainthood for dogs?

This speaks volumes about the writer.  I will refrain from commenting
further on the advice of other Listserve members.

By the way, I have two dogs, so I cannot be accused of dog-hating by  anyone.
 (I will spare you their names and how they got them.)

Howard Mendes, NYC