[Gocamino] Santiago news 2

blaroli at aol.com blaroli at aol.com
Thu Sep 13 11:47:10 PDT 2007

There is a report in the Voz de Galicia about the romantic effect of the Camino on many pilgrims who have met there, dated, and even married. Some pilgrims have, in fact, chosen to walk the Camino as their Honeymoon. One such couple, who arrived in Santiago a few days ago, declared that they had reasoned that if they could overcome the difficulties and challenges of the Camino together they could also face whatever problems of married life.

Finally, there continues to be a desire for some sort of tangible recognition for those four-legged pilgrims (mostly dogs) who walk to Santiago and who, heretofore, have not received any special consideration. (Recently a German pilgrim went to the police (!) to complain that the albergue in Cebreiro refused to admit his dog who, with him, had walked all the way from Germany).  For years now I, myself, have advocated the granting of a St. Cristopher-type medal, or some such to dogs who walk to Santiago, and, on some occasions I have helped some heart-broken pilgrims gain entrance to the Cathedral with their dogs.  At the next Archiconfraternity meeting I intend to propose that such medals be made available with the cost to be absorbed by animal-loving Societies and persons.    I know that some will think me pretty crazy for advocating something like this.  But I cannot remember the many pilgrims who’ve felt that their dogs deserve some sort of recognition, even more than they themselves, and I cannot look into the eyes of my little dog Christopher (named after Christopher Moltisanti of “The Sopranos”) without making the attempt.

Hugs!

 Rosina