[Gocamino] [saintjames] Re:Two Sellos per Etapa for a Compostela

Grant Spangler gaspangler at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 11 09:48:35 PDT 2007

Howard nailed it. Thank you, Howard. Mas Caminos, Menos Compostelas.

In the end it's nice to have the piece of paper, but it's just that, a piece
of paper. Having it or not having it does not make you more of - or less of
- a Pilgrim. It is the Road Within. The hidden path, less traveled path. I
have seen the pseudo pilgrims going from town to town by taxi. They leave
after you do but will arrive the next pueblito before you, sometimes several
stops daily. I wonder who they think they are fooling. In the end, they are
the ones who have cheated themselves.

I tend to fill Credenciales up to the rafters with sellos, so two per day
has never been an issue. I was questioning,” What is an Etapa?” Some people
might walk 10 km in a day, some 20, and others will do 40. Also, summertime
has more bars and sello-bearing facilities open for business than say,
winter. I understand the Oficina del Peregrino’s desire to sift the wheat
from the chaff right at the source. Still, there is a basic dishonesty about
the Turigrinos. They are often less interested in getting to Mass as they
are getting cheap lodgings. The real fix is with consistently staffed Xunta
Albergues that screen for taxi tourists and the bus brigade. Believe it or
not, many of the hospitaleros in Galicia are actually on the Xunta payroll.
They seem to be oft absent during Pilgrim arrival time.

As far as two stamps for the entire route, they are not looking for that. If
you walk from Vienna to Sarria, take the taxi to Barbadelo (6 km), then walk
the rest of the way, you will not qualify for a Compostela. For walkers,
they only look for the last 100 km being contiguous, period. Being able to
show the rest many give them warm fuzzies, but the qualifier is simply the
last 100.

Buen Camino,

Grant

Grant Spangler