[Gocamino] [saintjames] Re:Two Sellos per Etapa for a Compostela

Glenn Guha2005 at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 11 09:16:57 PDT 2007

Howard said:
" I had my Compostela laminated and it's gathering dust somewhere.  But  the
Camino is living with me every day."

I would have to agree with Howard.  When I arrived in Santiago after my
second Camino this year, I was not even going to stand in line for a
Compostela, because I realized that the gifts, the blessings of the Camino
are the real thing...the piece of paper has little meaning in comparison.
When I arrived late in the afternoon, there was not a line at the office and
I just walked in and got my official piece of paper.  I thought that at
least I was contributing to the official statistics of who was walking
during that period.  It also was interesting to hear at the mass the
following day, that I was the only American (recieving a Compostela) at that
time to have started at SJPP.

I have some of my favorite photos framed and hanging in the family room
along with a framed copy of the creditial which reminds my of the refugios I
stayed at, but the Compostela is in a file some place.  In some respects
that piece of paper seems to me to be like the t-shirt you get for running a
marathon...something to prove to others that you actually did it.  I hope
that I am fortunate to walk the Camino more times, but I won't feel deprived
if I do not happen to get a
Compostela.  I might be tempted to tell a non truth and say that I was not
walking for spiritual reasons just to see what that other certificate looks
like.

Glenn