[Gocamino] Somport in late November

blaroli at aol.com blaroli at aol.com
Sun Oct 28 16:43:59 PDT 2007

My advice is to go...... you'll find places to stay in tyhe area with ease.? Just go to the nearest church and they'll set you up.
You can get a credential at Somport or at Jaca. There is a church dedicated to Saint James in Jaca where they do everything for pilgrims (the lovely Cathedral tends to be too busy, and its adjacent magnificent museum may still be closed for renovations).? Just ask anyone for the "Iglesia de Santiago"... it' s on a cobbled street a couple of blocks from the Cathedral, and it has a colored window with Santiago pilgrim on top of its facade. If it isn't raining you will also see brass little shells embedded on the street leading to it.
My best advice is for you NOT to miss the San Juan de la Penha monastery. Enough has been written about it lately in this medium about how to get there, where to stay,etc.
Meanwhile, a picture of the outside of the cave wherein the breath-taking monastery is housed is attached to this message, as is an etching of some medieval pilgrims arriving at Somport.
Hugs!
Rosina