[Gocamino] Fwd: [Santiagobis] Somport in late November

Robert Spenger rspenger at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 22 09:06:21 PDT 2007

Begin forwarded message:

From: Robert Spenger <rspenger at earthlink.net>
Date: October 22, 2007 9:02:48 AM PDT
To: Santiagobis at yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Santiagobis] Somport in late November

Claire,

You should be able to get a credential in Jaca, which would be your
normal first stop after Somport. When I stopped there to get mine
stamped, it was already almost full, so the priest gave me a new one.
(It was one left from the year before and had 19_ _ printed in it and
this was in the year 2000. I just crossed out the 19, wrote in 20 and
had no problem with it.)

As far as Somport itself is concerned, it was deserted when I walked
through it, but that has probably changed in the last 7 years. By
November and December, the ski resort just a little way down the hill
from Somport should be going full blast. It, too, looked to be rather
deserted when I went by it in May of 2000. I didn't see it up close,
it was a mile or so off the road that I walked down. The first town
after Somport, Canfranc Estación was very busy with lots of tourists
and summer hikers. There is reported to be a pilgrim's albergue there
but I didn't see it. I just grabbed a place at the first hotel that I
came to. It seems likely that the albergue would have credentials
available.

Bob S.