[Gocamino] Somport in late November

Marty Robinson peregrina at centurytel.net
Mon Oct 22 20:23:26 PDT 2007

Hi Claire,

My sons and I walked the Camino Aragones from Oloron Ste. Marie last July.
In my journal I wrote, "The magnificent ascent into Col de Somport from
Accous left me exhausted, depleted, weak and freezing.  Oh, the magnificent
Camino Aragones!"

We used the lovely American Pilgrims on the Camino passport obtained before
departure.  Although I wouldn't count on obtaining a credential at the Col
de Somport the albergue's sello is elegant and states "Candanchu Algergue
Summus Portus".

The albergue at the Col (at 5,320 feet) is also a hotel of sorts with a
restaurant.  It is much like a ski lodge and provides incredible vistas.   I
would guess that winter is long there and that you will most certainly have
snow at the Col from the look of the expanding ski resort you'll pass as you
descend next day.  We walked to Jaca, 31 km., through fields (acres and
acres) of wild flowers in July.   As with the ascent from France, there is
much scree which makes for treacherous walking on the descent and all along
the Camino Aragones in Spain.

If you plan to walk to San Juan de la Penha, and I enthusiastically urge you
to, I offer one bit of advice.  Do not make that long, long, steep, steep,
poorly way marked ascent directly from Jaca.  Walk to Santa Celia, spend the
night in the albergue there, then hike to the monastery and back the next
day, without your backpack.  That advice comes from unfortunate experience;
the vertical ascents were hideous!

The vistas you'll observe as you descend the Pyrenees and progress on the
Camino Aragones will bring tears to your eyes!  Don't forget to look back
regularly.

In July we saw no other pilgrims until the albergue at Jaca.   Subsequently,
somehow there were no pilgrims on the trail during the day, and just two or
three each night at the albergues.  I don't know which albergues will be
open for you in Nov/Dec.  Many villages, widely spaced, had nothing in terms
of accommodation nor food.  Several days, water provision was 18 km. away.
I would guess you will spend nights in people's homes.

I hope you have a fantastic time.  Please let us hear from you as your
adventure unfolds.
Marty