[Gocamino] Canonization of martyrs

jethess777 at aol.com jethess777 at aol.com
Tue Oct 16 21:16:53 PDT 2007

 Patricia,
An interesting observation about dental health in Spain.? Unfortunately, I think it is true for most of Europe that lots of folks suffer from poor dental hygiene.? What I have seen in France, Italy, Britain and Belgium is just as bad as what I've seen in Spain.? I have looked into research that indicates lots of bodily sickness can stem from poor dental health including heart disease, kidney disease and a host of other maladies.?

Now about coverage for dental care.? The Spaniards have some co-pays for dental care, but it is still very inexpensive compared to her in the US.? I experienced a bad fall while running across a street in Madrid.? I stumbled and couldn't "catch" myself and landed face first into the street.?  I broke off one of my front teeth.? Some kind soul drive me to an emergency room, tooth in hand, where a doc examined my mouth, knee and chin, as all were injured in my stupid fall.? He concluded that nothing was broken, so he send me off in a taxi to a 24/7 dental office in another part of Madrid.? This was about 9 p.m. on a Friday night, mind you.? When I got there, X-rays were taken the dentist examined me and did repairs right then and there.? My own dentist saw me two months later and thought that the work was of good quality.? I was given two prescriptions for medicine by the Spanish dentist, one to alleviate swelling and the other was an antibiotic.? He was thorough, office was very clean and they were using all precautions against contamination (I am a nurse practitioner here in California) and put me at ease.? Really a very nice guy!? Total cost for the everything was 62 Euros. I was totally finished by 10:30 p.m.? Now you know the cost would have been hundreds here in the states and at that time of day and on a Friday night no less, the wait would have been hours and hours.? The office gal did ask for European "papers" as did the pharmacist next door.? So I know it would have been much cheaper for them.? Also a minimum of forms to fill out.? He basically asked about allergies and my health history while he had me in the chair.? This is what happens when there are fewer people apt to sue health care workers and lawyers less likely to be in the position of chasing ambulances.?
Well, 'nuff said, but I thought that I would share my story.?
-Joanie
2006 Pilgrim