[Gocamino] 1 week on the Camino...where to go.

Jim Greer jbgreer at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 13:31:21 PDT 2007

[ In the interest of fulfilling the desire of another poster to return
to the nuts and bolts of walking the camino, I hope my entry suffices,
though I hardly qualify as an old-timer, nor as an experienced
pilgrim.  That said, back to my previously schedule reply, already in
progress.... ;-)  ]

Tania recently wrote and said:
I would like to hike the Camino for a week this spring -- any suggestions? I
walked from St Jean to Santiago three years ago.  My heart is yearning to
return!  Some of my favorite spots were near Astorga and I must say -- I did
not enjoy the last 100 km's very much. It was the holy year and vey crowded.
I am sure its not like that all the time...but....Tania

I have more questions than answers, but only in hopes of pointing out solutions:

- Did you walk in the Spring last time?  Perhaps walking that same
100KM in the Spring rather than Fall, Summer, or Winter might be much
different than you recall?

- Next year is not a Holy Year, so perhaps the Camino Frances would
not be as crowded.
I'm am certain that someone will compare the traffic from 3 years ago
and be able to say with some conviction as to whether it will be more
crowded next year, though.
If it is the crowding that is the issue, though, it seems that the
trend is towards a more crowded road.  Perhaps you should go now
rather than later?

- I cannot offer real advice on which section to walk, as I have not
covered the entire Camino Frances nor have I walked other routes, but
I do think that  John's suggestion of walking another route is an
excellent one.  Are you open to another route?

Whatever you choose,  I hope you enjoy your next walk,
Jim Greer