[Gocamino] Eunate

Teri papergirl426 at msn.com
Sat Oct 6 08:36:42 PDT 2007

I stayed at Eunate a few weeks ago. On the last bit of road heading there I passed three groups of Nuns. Each group stopped to talk to me, in Spanish. Even with my toddler Spanish we had great conversations, lots of hugs and emotion. I felt so very supported. (I loved being a solo peregrina on the Camino - EVERYONE was so helpful!)

Jean, the hospitalero, was French. He cooked us the most fabulous meal (with the understanding that we did the dishes) that included cassoulet and ratatouille with custard desert that had a kiwi slice floating in the middle with a tiny piece of yellow fruit cut to be a Camino arrow.

Jean conducted a prayer service after dinner in the church. We only had candles and we each read a portion of the presentation in our native languages. After the readings, Jean moved to the center of the church and sang Ave Maria. The personal significance of this hymn with the combination of the church acoustics and the ambiance made this moving beyond words to me.

At breakfast, each place-setting was graced with a Santa Maria de Eunate prayer card, another mini sheet of paper with a prayer presented in several languages and a tiny polished rock with "Eunate" scripted on one side and the yellow arrow on the other. The rock was positioned uniquely at each setting to point toward the re-entry point of the Camino.

And we had Mino there that night. If anyone knows Mino (10th camino) you know we sang the Camino song....a lot!

Eunate will always be one of my fondest memories of the camino!My Camino Experience:
http://mi-viaje-a-santiago.blogspot.com/ (working on adding the pictures)