[Gocamino] USA Confraternity

Glenn Guha2005 at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 1 13:07:58 PDT 2007

There was a book written a few years back called (I believe) Bowling Alone.
It says what Rebekah mentioned about the declining membership in
organizations by Americans.  I don't think it has to do with individualism
because that was there when social organizations were very popular.  It has
more to do with the "stressed out" feelings that many Americans have.  Life
here now seems to be work, shopping, and TV/Internet.  There is much less
social interchange than when I was growing up, and I am 60 now.  It was not
the 24/7  culture that now makes up the American scene.  That is what I like
about European Culture, they seem to have more time than we do to be social.

As for God or Religion associated with the Camino...I think that the vast
majority of the people I met on my 2 Caminos were very spiritual people.
That is one of the things I think is so special about the Camino.  But I do
think that many were hurt in someways by organized religion, and are
sensitive, perhaps overly so, to certain terminology.  When I went into the
Army in 1968, I was a very religious young man.  When I was discharged in
1972, I could not even enter a church without feeling angry and nauseous.  I
could not understand how organized religion in the shape of the Chaplain
Corps, could have been complicit in what I had experienced.  It took years
for me to get over that, and I think that there are many other stories of
people who have had these negative experiences.  Give them time...time will
change them slowly...the Camino will change them quickly.

Glenn