[Gocamino] USA Confraternity

Rebekah Scott rebrites at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 1 12:29:11 PDT 2007

I can´t speak to the Catholicity of the people who
founded American Pilgrims on the Camino, or the people
who run it these days. But I do know the reason
there´s no USA Confraternity is, apparently, the lack
of willing leadership among those Catholic Americans
who feel Americans should have a Confraternity of St.
James.

Frankly, I am not sure Confraternities really are part
of the American scene or consciousness. Fraternal
groups in America are largely on the wane...just ask
any Loyal Order of the Moose Lodge, or Altar & Rosary
Society member for that matter. Americans aren´t  big
´joiners,´ maybe because we are so independent and
individualistic. Or selfish. Or maybe because we
express our tribal instincts via football teams or
military invasions, or the brand of sneakers we
choose.

The facts speak for themselves, and have for several
years now. Lots of people talk about starting a North
American Confraternity. But so far, no one´s stepped
up with the time, energy, talent, and commitment
needed to get the job done.

That includes me. But now that I don´t live in North
America, I have an excuse! (I belong to the UK one
anyway.)

Rebekah

Rebekah Scott
www.moratinoslife.blogspot.com