[Gocamino] Camino deaths

blaroli at aol.com blaroli at aol.com
Fri May 25 11:03:35 PDT 2007

Hello you all,

On my very first Camino, way back in 1999, I asked a priest whether it was part of the Camino endeavor to carry one´s backpack.  He told me that the Church frowns severely on corporal self-punishment and mentioned, on passing, that Saint Francis of Assisi, and most pilgrims way back then, carried nothing with them but the clothes on their backs a a small gripsack with some food.... so small,. in fact, they they would hang it from their walking stick..

Anticipating my next question, he mentioned that they would wash their clothes in the rivers and wait for them (in the altogether, one expects), to be dried by the sun before going on..
For one, I usually figure out where I am going to be after two or three days walking, make a reservation in a hostal, pension, or private house (recommended, usually, by a parish priest) in such a place, send my backpack there by taxi, and walk with only a very small day pack containing what will be absolutely needed for a two day, or so, walk.
In my sixth decade, many people ask me how I manage to go on such long pilgrimages and complete them. Perhaps the sending of the backpack ahead has a lot to do with it.
Of course, over the years I have met quite a few pilgrims who do the same.
Hugs!
Rosina