[Gocamino] The Cathedral/Bridget

Elcaminomejala at aol.com Elcaminomejala at aol.com
Sun May 20 16:30:45 PDT 2007

This is great info Bridget, thanks much. Best, xm

In a message dated 5/20/2007 7:27:43 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
highbell at sbcglobal.net writes:

What a fun conversation!  You have spurred me to check  Marilyn Stokstad's
Medieval Art.  In the glossary it  defines
nave:  Latin:ship central vessel of a church ,  extending from the entrance
to the crossing or choir.
A few  entries above that:
naos:  Greek:  the principal  room in a temple... In a Byzantine church the
naos includes the apse,  choir and nave.
It sounds like the references go both  ways.  The Portuguese borrowed back to
the Greek (or it's a great  coincidence) and the Latin church used ship
language.
Stokstad  also referred to 4th century chuches using basilica templates.  The
 apse was where the altar was, the end of your visual journey as you  entered
the church and progressed up the nave.  She then states  that tombs were
added in rounded structures where the apse was.   This was a borrowing from
mausoleum architecture.  The ambulatory  went up the aisles of the nave and around
the apse so that pilgrims  could get close to the tomb without interferring
with the mass.   This sounds very familiar!
So our basilica style churches with  tombs are an amalgamation of roman
basilicas and mausolea and are fourth  century adoptions in the Roman Church.  I
borrowed these ideas from  chapter 2 of the above mentioned book.
Does anyone else have  more info?  I love this stuff.
Bridget

Elcaminomejala at aol.com wrote:

Well Steve, I tell ya, won't be the first nor the last  that am told I've
missed the point about so many things, u wouldn't  believe it ! Nonetheless I
do
believe we're talking about  architecture, ergo art, not a science,
subjective. All impressions  should have their place in the Lord's garden,
vast it is.
But  consider this: the Portico de la Glorida is the entrance to a mighty
tomb. Could be, however simple minded it may sound. Best, xm

In a message dated 5/20/2007 2:58:56 P.M. Eastern Daylight  Time,