[Gocamino] Good news

blaroli at aol.com blaroli at aol.com
Sun May 20 17:26:44 PDT 2007

Hello you all,
After years and years of negotiations and financial struggle, the mayor of Santiago, Xose Sanchez Bugallo, and the Archbishop, msgr. Julian Barrio, finally signed on Friday the final documents to commence the rehabilitation of the "Casa do Dean", which is the building on Via de Vilar No. 1 where the Pilgrims' Office is located. Mayor Sanchez Bugallo has promised the financial resources of City Hall to see to it that the renovatios are completed before the next Holy Year, 2010.
Of the many plans for renovation,  (including a bar in the inner courtyard, which is not going to happen)  the ones that have been approved are those providing for showers for arriving pilgrims and facilities to check backpacks and bicycles. There will also be more comfortable means of being on line while waiting to get the Compostela or the Certificate.  As we all know, standing on the stairway amidst a crowd of  tired, sweaty and over-excited pilgrims, is the present par for the course.
The final approval has been long in coming because of those in Santiago who are zealous guardians of historical monuments and buildings. The Casa do Dean was begun to be built in 1747 by Clemente Fernandez Sarela, and like the nearby Casa de  Troya. is chockful of legends cherished by the Santiagoans.
The Archbishop deserves much praise for his untiring pursuit of this endeavor on the face of the economic difficulties of the town.

We all have noticed the word "ONCE" on newspaper kiosks all over Spain.  While the word means "eleven" in Spanish, the initials actually stand for a sort of cooperative run by blind people for the benefit of those bereft of sight. Well, ONCE has sponsored the pilgrimage of eight blind pilgrims (five males and three females). These pilgrims have arrived in Santiago  accompanied  by their eye-seeing dogs, which has made me renew a resolve to have some sort of commemorative Santiago medal to be given to the dogs that also walk the Camino.

In another theme:  Acacio Paz, a Brasilian pilgrim who went on to establish and run a pilgrims' albergue, has passed on the plea from a relative of a Brasilian pilgrim who hasn't been heard from for more than a week. The pilgrim's name is Tadeo Goncalves dos Santos; he is 56 years old, l.75 meters tall and when last heard of he had already walked 300 kms.  Anyone who know of this pilgrim are requested to call 679-941-123 (in Spain).

Lastly:  The Certificate awarded to those pilgrims who did not earn, or do not want, a Compostela is printed on a document that has, on the left the red Santiago Cross, on the right the walking stick with the shell and the gourd and on the center the seated figure of Santiago (from the Portico de Gloria).  The certificate says, (translated):
        "The S. A. M. I. Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela welcomes you cordially to the Apostolic Tomb of Santiago the Elder, and it wishes that the Holy Apostle grant you, in abundance, the graces of the pilgrimage.

                                              signed (by the Archbishop)

and sealed  (By the office of peregrinations of the S.A.M.I. Cathedral"

I peronally think that it is very nice..... particularly when taken next door to be laminated (for an Euro).

Hugs!

Rosina