[Gocamino] Angels in disguise

Kathy Gower kathygower at hotmail.com
Thu May 17 18:17:48 PDT 2007

I disagree somewhat...In order for anyone to actually change their behaviors
and themselves into what they see CAN indeed be a way of being (they've
experienced that on the Camino), they have to reflect on it and be able to
find ways in their lives to practice it.  It can be very simple, but as some
of the Camino "elders" have pointed out, to those back in our lives at home,
outside of a few questions about where have you been and why did you go, the
experience gets lost.

This culture lacks the witness for the most part...which is why we frequent
list serves like this---to keep those experiences alive.  If we can't find
words for the experiences or actions to reflect them, the memories get
distant or lost.

Think of the easy repoire that occurs around the refugio tables--shared
experience that has transcended culture, language, gender, age, etc.
Meaningful experience.

Keeping the experience and way of being alive and giving back takes many
forms, not just being a hospitalero (and even they get burned out...), but
what about practicing that openness to others at home?  It does take an act
of will, too.