[Gocamino] Angels in disguise

Richard Ferguson richard at fergusonsculpture.com
Thu May 17 19:23:06 PDT 2007

I think of the Camino kind of like summer camp, or going away to
college.   All of a sudden you are far from home, in a shared
experience, you know no one, and you make friends quickly.   It is
not likely that you will ever see most of the people again, or that
they will pass along information to your friends and family back
home, so no problem telling "secrets", or saying what you really
feel.  In your regular life, we all get in a rut, we spend time with
the same people, we have things we would prefer not to share.  We
don't have the situation that results in that openness.   Nor do I
have the same openness today that I did on camino.

But I use what I learned on camino all the time.  I specifically
thought today about what I learned on camino, realized that it
applied in my current situation, and then acted on it.  The learnings
have stuck with me, and help me all the time.  So I would say that
the value of the camino for me is not in the openness, or the
friendships, but in what I learned.  And of course what I learned is
mostly about myself, and exactly how I needed to change.   If I told
you what I learned, you might laugh, or say that you learned that a
long time ago, maybe in kindergarten.   But it was a very valuable
learning for me.  And  I needed to be in that situation to really
learn it and have it stick.

Richard

--
http://www.fergusonsculpture.com