[Gocamino] COMPOSTELA and Credential; new rules

Rebekah Scott rebrites at yahoo.com
Thu May 17 12:14:11 PDT 2007

hear, hear Rosina. I'm with you on this one. Even
though I know how much effort went into designing a
new American Pilgrims credential, and I've personally
stamped credentials ranging from diary pages to
hand-illuminated parchment, to a lineup of sellos on
the back of a page torn off an old calendar.

Pilgrims "back in the day" didn't have Official Church
Credentials, and I think the pilgrim office effort to
curb tourist abuses is doomed to fail -- those tour
operators are incredibly clever and enterprising!

Still, I agree the "real" Compostela is a
church-generated document, and as such the church is
well within its rights to determine who should get
one, however it sees fit. It's up to others to find a
way to offer a "congratulations you finished" document
for secular pilgrims that carries the same kind of
weight.

Rebekah

Rebekah Scott,
erstwhile print journalist