[Gocamino] COMPOSTELA and Credential; new rules

KF wolverinedg at yahoo.com
Thu May 17 09:47:50 PDT 2007

I understand why the Church would want to tighten up the requirements for obtaining the Compostela itself.  However, I don´t think that will cut back on the numbers of people who walk the Camino for "fun" or use the albergues & other facilities intended for pilgrims on foot-bike-horseback (such as the wine fountain at Irache;  in less than 30 minutes an entire day´s worth of wine was guzzled down the throats of 2 busloads of tourists who laughed at the peregrinos while taking pictures of us the day I was there).

  I like my credential.  Each day had a different obstacle to overcome & getting the sello was  a visible concrete sign that I had overcome it.  I intend to cherish my Compostela once I earn it & hope that it will inspire others to follow in my footsteps.

  As for those who walk the Camino in sections, I don´t know how to distinguish between those like me who can only walk for about 2 weeks (vacation time) at a time & those who walk only on the weekends.  Obviously, the courteous thing to do is spend the first night at a hotel & not an albergue, but after that, I feel I´ve earned my place at an albergue.

  Kelly
  Ana Young <ayoung2001 at yahoo.com> wrote:
  I don't really much care myself about having to meet
the credencial requirement, as I've always gotten that
one anyway. I think some foreign (non-Spanish)
pilgrims were concerned that the credenciales now
issued by sources outside of Spain will no longer be
acceptable, or that perhaps that's one of the reasons
for the tightening up of requirements.

I don't have a strong opinion about it myself. It
could be control (makes sense to me), it could be
anti-foreigner attitudes, it could be any number of
things. Some of it's understandable, as Rosina says.
There are far too many "turigrinos" along the Frances
and even now along the Aragones here and there.

Buen Camino,
Ana

____________________________________________________________________________________Be a better Heartthrob. Get better relationship answers from someone who knows. Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.